Villa & Hut select timbers primarily from recycled doors, beams, old furniture, bridges, and buildings - which may be up to 100 years old.
All recycled timber is of course seasoned naturally over time during its previous life. All plantation grown timber is kiln dried for a period of 7-10 days, with a stabilised moisture content to suit our climate. If you buy a piece of our handmade furniture you have bought a solid timber product that is either mahogany or teak. Timber is a natural and sustainable product. It is environmentally friendly, and should last you and your home a lifetime!
At Villa & Hut, we hand pick what we sell - and therefore can guarantee what we sell. If for any reason any of our products fail to meet your expectations then we will repair or replace free of charge.
About our Timber Source
Villa & Hut hand select their timber from two primary sources:
Re-claimed Timber: Some of Villa & Hut's favourite furniture pieces have had past lives as doors, beams, bridges and buildings that maybe up to 100 years old. We have been able to create these timber pieces into a range of original, stylish and individually handcrafted furniture. Look for where an old door handle and bolt insert used to be!
Timber Plantations: Timber plantations have been established in many countries around the globe, specifically for the wholesale timber market.
Types of Wood Used
- Considered a large Hardwood, grown predominantly in South East Asia.
- Texture of the wood is course and even
- Grain is often interlocked, giving a ribbon effect on the surface.
- Extremely durable.
- A beautiful looking wood displaying various shades of red - 'Light Red & Dark Red'. (No two pieces are the same in colour)
- Has characteristics of 'Antique style' which makes each piece unique.
- Ages extremely well
- By being porous mahogany absorbs oils which best enhances it's wonderful grain.
- A large Hardwood from India, Burma, Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam.
- Typically golden brown in colour.
- Teak contains an Olio resin which gives it a greasy feel and distinctive odour to freshly cut wood.
- Texture of the wood is uneven.
- Grain of the wood is usually straight.
- Grain comes to life with oil.
- Extremely durable for outdoor use, non-porous wood therefore can withstand rain.
Villa & Hut support eco friendly timber recycling. No illegal wood is used in any of our products!
The timbers that we use in all our products come from only two sources. most of the timber is predominantly reclaimed or recycled, whilst some is purpose grown in timber plantations, which have been established around the world specifically for the wholesale timber market. the owners of Villa & Hut personally travel to the corners of the globe in search of beautiful and genuine timber that shows character and history.
This is reflected in the grain, the colour, and the originality of each of the uniquely individual pieces of furniture exclusive to Villa & Hut.